Click for current Missing Adults cases
§ 3-601. Procedure for taking missing person reports.
(a) Mandatory waiting period prohibited.
(1) A law enforcement agency may not establish a mandatory waiting period before taking a missing person report.
(2) A law enforcement agency shall make every effort to inform the general public and the family of a missing person that the agency does not impose a mandatory waiting period before taking a missing person report.
(b) Acceptance of reports made in person; taking electronic reports. In accordance with subsection (a) of this section, a law enforcement agency:
(1) shall accept without delay a report of a missing person provided in person; and
(2) may accept a report of a missing person by phone or other electronic means if:
(i) that form of reporting is consistent with the policy of the law enforcement agency; and
(ii) the reporting person completes the report in person as soon as possible.
§ 3-602. Uniform report form.
On or before October 1, 2008, all law enforcement agencies in the State shall begin using a uniform report form developed by the Police Training Commission in accordance with § 3-207 of this title when taking a missing person report.
§ 3-603. Unidentified human remains.
(a) Filing DNA samples and photographs. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner shall maintain files of DNA samples and photographs of unidentified human remains.
(b) Cremation subject to Health - General Article. The cremation of human remains is subject to the provisions of § 5-502 of the Health - General Article.
1201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208
(410) 653.4200 | (800) 525.5555 | (410) 486.0677 (TDD)