Vehicle Equipment FAQs

How can I tell if my window tint is legal?

On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons: 
All windows with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance. Red, yellow, amber, and reflective window tint is prohibited. 
On multipurpose vehicles, limousines, vans, and class “E” trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) equal to or less than 10,000 pounds: 
Windows on the driver and right front passenger doors with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance. Red, yellow, amber, and reflective tint is prohibited on these windows. 
All other windows can be tinted to any degree of darkness or color. However, reflective tint is prohibited. 
Post manufactures window tint is prohibited on the windshield of any vehicle below the AS1 line or5 inches from the top of the windshield.

What is the maximum lift height for a vehicle? And how do you measure it?


​The maximum height for Class A (passenger vehicle) is 20 inches, Class M (multipurpose) is 28 inches, Class E (pickup trucks) registered 10,000 pounds or less is 28 inches, Class E (pickup trucks) registered over 10,000 but not more than 18,000 pounds is 32 inches. This is measured from ground level to the frame side rails. Contact our Automotive Safety Enforcement Section at for additional information.​

I want to install some "after-market equipment" on my vehicle. I'm not sure whether it is legal or not. Who can I check with?


​​Any equipment labeled​ "off road" or "racing" use only is not permitted.  Equipment must be identified by the Manufacturer as DOT compliant.  Contact our Automotive Safety Enforcement Division via e-mail at​ for additional information.

I just received a Safety Equipment Repair Order. How do I comply?


​On the copy of the SERO that you received, you will see the violation for which you were cited. Those with an asterisk ( * ) may be visually inspected by a member of any police agency that participates in the SERO program. For violations without an asterisk, you must take the vehicle to a certified inspection station and they must certify that the problem was corrected. After the problem is corrected, mail the SERO to the address provided on the copy you received.​

Are colored headlights legal?


​No, colored headlights are not legal.  Headlights must be white in color.  Any required lamp, lens, or reflector that is obscured by any object or shielded by a nontransparent material, or any headlamp equipped with aftermarket clear, tinted or screen type color is prohibited.  For more information see Maryland law​.

Can I use studded snow tires on my car?


​If the owner of the vehicle registers the vehicle in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett and Washington counties between November 1st and March 31st.​

How do I transfer a motor vehicle title in Maryland?


​Typically all you need is the signed title, a vehicle inspection and a check for the taxes owed. You can get more information at​.

I bought a used car and need to have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspected before I can register it. How can I get a VIN inspection?


​You can call your local Maryland State Police Barrack and the duty officer can help you set up an appointment.​

How do I obtain a title for a salvaged or self-assembled vehicle?


​Through the Motor Vehicle Administration. Their website is​.