Laboratory Tours and Off-Site Outreach
All tour and off-site outreach requests must be submitted to the Laboratory Tour and Off-Site Outreach Coordinator using the Laboratory Tour/Off-Site Outreach Request Form (Appendix A). If a request is submitted via some other method then the requestor will be sent a Tour/Off-Site Outreach Request Form and asked to resubmit the request. The request must contain the following information:
- The name of the requestor and the affiliated organization.
- Number of attendees and nature of business (i.e. 18 students in the Forensic Science class at Stevenson University.
- Contact information including daytime phone number, fax number, email address and business address.
- Whether the request is for a Laboratory Tour or for Off-Site Outreach.
- The reason for the request and any specific areas of focus.
- Approximate date desired for tour and requesting time frame. Back up dates should also be provided. Efforts should be made to not hold tours on the last day of a work week.
Requests for laboratory tours, off-site outreach, and internships originating from the Superintendent’s Office and other Divisions within the Maryland State Police may be exempt from the restrictions associated with this policy.
Acceptable Laboratory Tour Groups:
- High School Students- coursework must directly relate to Forensic Science
- College/University Students- coursework must directly relate to Forensic Science
- No elementary school or middle school groups will be considered for laboratory tours of FSD.
Tour group members are expected to act in a professional and courteous manner at all time during the tour. Any disruptive tour group member, as determined by FSD personnel, will be removed immediately by the tour group leader who will assume all further responsibility for the individual.
Tour group attendees should dress in a business casual fashion or within the dress code policy of the school.
Acceptable Off-Site Outreach Groups:
- Lectures and presentations given outside the laboratory by staff as part of a workday will be limited to high school and college students with casework directly related to Forensic Science. Approval is required by the Section Manager and notification must be provided to the Director.
- Lectures and presentations given outside the laboratory by staff on their own time can include elementary and middle school aged children. Care should be taken to adjust the context of the material to the age group. Approval is required by the Section Manager and notification must be provided to the Director.