Officer Albert E. Cramblitt was born July 10, 1902, in Baltimore, MD and entered into law enforcement on April 4, 1925. Motorcycle Officer Cramblitt's service to the State of Maryland was part of the Maryland Motor Vehicle Commission and he was assigned to the Laurel Substation. Even though Officer Cramblitt's service lasted only six months, this certainly did not lessen his sacrifice to the citizens of Maryland.
On the afternoon of October 1, 1925, Officer Cramblitt was in pursuit of a suspected bootlegger on Washington Boulevard, also known at that time as "The Famous Washington-Baltimore Rum-Running Blvd." Officer Cramblitt was traveling, according to reports, approximately 55 MPH on his 1924 Indian Motorcycle when a truck pulled into his path and he struck the truck broadside. Cramblitt died instantly. He was 23 years old at the time of his death. A funeral service was held on October 4, 1925, at his home and he was buried in a family plot in Loudon Park Cemetery.
Officer Cramblitt came from a large family, including his parents Louisa and Thomas Cramblitt, eight brothers and four sisters. Because of the Great Depression, it was very tough for Officer Cramblitt and his family. Officer Cramblitt has four surviving family members: Marcella Cummings, Viola Quant who resides on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and two brothers Carroll Cramblitt of Baltimore, MD, and Ellsworth Cramblitt of Woodlawn, MD. Officer Cramblitt never married and lived with his parents until the time of his death.
Officer Cramblitt was the fifth Motor Vehicle Commission Motorcycle Officer to die in the line of duty and the first law enforcement officer in the State to be buried in uniform with full police honors.
His uniform was purchased by his mother and the Commissioner of the Motor Vehicle Commission provided an honor guard. Motor Vehicle Commission Captain Charles E. Myers served as commanding officer in charge of the funeral detail. A detail of fellow officers served as pall-bearers. This funeral began a tradition which is still carried out today.
In 1992 Ellsworth Cramblitt, brother of Officer A. Cramblitt, donated the 1924 black and white photograph of Officer Cramblitt aboard his 1924 Indian motorcycle outside of the Laurel Substation. The photo had been handed down through many family members including his brother Ellsworth who had the photograph for approximately 35 years before donating it to the Maryland State Police Museum. By request of the family, a copy of the photograph is currently on display at the Waterloo Barrack on U.S. Rt. 1, the former location of the Laurel Substation. The Barrack Commander for the Waterloo Barrack is charged with the responsibility for caring for the photo.