Ida J. Williams, Director
1711 Belmont Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21244
410 281-2700 (phone)
410 298-3198 (fax)
The Central Records Division is the state’s central repository for the collection, analysis, and distribution of motor vehicle accident reports and crime statistics. This information is mandated under Public Safety Article 2 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The Maryland State Police Central Records Division periodically publishes reports on the incidences of crime and motor vehicle accidents in the State as required. Some of these publications consist of the Preliminary Uniform Crime Report on a periodic basis during the reporting year and the annual Crime in Maryland Uniform Crime Report which is published the following year. This Division responds to specific requests for copies of MSP criminal investigation reports, motor vehicle accident reports and other related documents maintained in the repository to legally entitled parties.
Motor Vehicle Accident Reports
Persons can obtain an official copy of an accident report in three ways:
- Obtain a copy of the report at the MSP Barrack that completed the report,
ten days after the date of the accident. Bring a check or money order (no cash) $4 non-refundable document search fee made payable to Maryland State Police. It is recommended that you call the Barrack first prior to coming to ensure the report is available.
- Download the Request for Motor Vehicle Accident Report form at the bottom of this page. After downloading, print and complete the form and mail it, with a check for $4, to the address on the form.
- Once a copy of the report is available, an official copy of the report will be mailed to you.
- Requests for copies of Motor Vehicle Accident Reports should not be submitted until
ten days after the date of the accident. This will give the Central Records Division (CRD) sufficient time to receive and process reports.
- Once a copy of the report is available, you may also obtain a copy in person at the Central Records Division during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, excluding State Holidays).
- To expedite your request, please click the link at the bottom of the page and fill out the online form. This request will then be mailed directly to
firstname.lastname@example.org. The $4.00 nonrefundable search fee is still required as noted above.
For requests for copies of motor vehicle accident reports or incidents reports that occurred in the City of Baltimore, contact the Central Records Division Baltimore Police Department at (410) 396-2234 or (410) 396-2222 or visit their website and submit a request online at https://www.baltimorepolice.org/obtain-police-report.
MSP Investigative Reports & Related Documents
An official copy of an MSP investigation report may be obtained from the Central Records Division in accordance with Department policy and the
Public Information Act .
Persons may submit a written request to the Central Records Division including the following the information: MSP report number (if known), date of incident, location of incident, and names of victim or suspect. Additionally, please do not forget to include your return address in your correspondence.
Motor Vehicle Accident and Crime Related Statistics
Crime in Maryland Uniform Crime Reports are available through the Maryland State Police website. Motor vehicle accident statistics are available upon request.
Uniform Crime Reporting Training
For training dates and class registration call (410) 281-2700.
Motor Vehicle Accident Form can be accessed by clicking below: