To serve and protect the citizens of Maryland while remaining focused on our core values of integrity, fairness and service.
The mission of the Maryland State Police is to ensure Maryland is a safe place to live, work and visit.
The mission of the Maryland State Police is to serve the people of Maryland and those who visit our State through purposed policing that protects our citizens, prevents criminal acts and traffic crashes, and provides the highest quality of law enforcement services available anywhere. This is accomplished through a network of local barracks and specialized units working in consultation and cooperation with allied public safety agencies to address issues impacting public safety in Maryland and each jurisdiction through an inter-jurisdictional strategy.
- Prevent and investigate crime while supporting allied law enforcement agencies.
- Enhance the safety of all who travel on Maryland's highways.
- Support citizens and the communities in which they live.
- Develop an efficient and effective workforce.
- Integrity - employees will:
Fairness - employees will:
- uphold the public trust by being honest;
- and maintain the highest ethical standards and a moral character.
Service - employees will:
- treat every person with respect and dignity in an unbiased, courteous and professional manner;
- remain in control and respond appropriately when dealing with a citizen or an MSP employee; and
- protect the constitutional rights of all persons through impartial enforcement of the law.
- provide dedicated and compassionate assistance to all persons;
- promote leadership, cooperation and assistance to fellow employees, allied agencies and other governmental entities;
- strive to improve the service we provide, the quality of life in the communities we serve and the relationships we have with the community; and
- obey all Maryland State Police policies.
State Trooper's Oath...
I do solemnly swear that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the United States of America and to the State of Maryland; that I will serve honestly and faithfully to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and to the State of Maryland; that I will enforce the laws of the State of Maryland; and that I will obey the orders of the Governor and the Officers appointed over me according to the rules and regulations of the Maryland State Police.
Maryland Department of State Police
Customer Service Overview
The mission of the Maryland Department of State Police is to serve the people of Maryland and those who visit our state through purposed policing that protects our citizens, prevents criminal acts and traffic crashes, and provides the highest quality of law enforcement services available. This is accomplished through a network of local barracks and specialized units working in consultation and cooperation with allied public safety agencies to address issues impacting public safety in Maryland and each jurisdiction through an inter-jurisdiction strategy.
The Maryland Department of State Police objectives are: to prevent and investigate crime while supporting allied law enforcement agencies; ensure Maryland highways are safe; and to support citizens and the communities in which they live. All Maryland state troopers have taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Every Department of State Police employee is responsible to uphold the public trust by being honest and maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct, by treating all people with respect in an unbiased manner and by providing dedicated and compassionate service to all citizens.
The Department of State Police Customer Service Promise describes our approach. Customer Service activities include:
1. Improve the tracking, responsiveness and time-to-resolution of all electronic, telephone, written and in-person correspondence.
2. Ensure state employees and managers continue to improve customer service skills through formal training classes and informal coaching on best practices in customer service.
3. Improve the processing times of agency services to help citizens and businesses accomplish their transactions with the state.
4. Increase the number of services the state provides online so that citizens and businesses can utilize self-service, as appropriate. For example, the Department reconstructed the Maryland State Police website to make it more compatible with mobile devices, as well as to enhance the appearance and increase the use for citizens.
5. Update online publications, forms, FAQs, and pertinent information on our website so that citizens and businesses can find relevant information quickly and accurately.
For example, specific links are dedicated to providing better "Citizen Services" and include:
-Obtain Police Reports
-Public Information Act (PIA) Requests
-Compliments or Complaints Against Personnel
-Documents, Forms & Publications
-Maryland Vehicle Inspection Program
6. Use social media to help get the word out about services, events, and news to provide citizens and businesses with information important to them. In an ongoing effort to communicate directly with the citizens we serve, the Department maintains an active social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. The Department will continue to maximize these outlets and make sure information is current and accurate.
7. A three question Customer Service Experience Survey is available on our website for citizens and businesses to provide feedback. Results are used to make improvements to services.
In addition to these core customer service-related activities, we will ensure literature is up-to-date and conduct staff meetings to discuss progress on achieving customer service goals. We will also continue to recognize top performers in our agency for professionalism and courtesy, and for innovations that improve customer service.
We will monitor the execution of the aforementioned activities, measure performance and analyze the results in order to continuously improve customer service.
We are committed to providing Maryland citizens, businesses, and other customers with the best customer service. For more information, look through this Maryland State Police website.
for our three question customer experience survey.