Vehicle Equipment FAQs

How can I tell if my window tint is legal?

Red, yellow, amber, tint with a sparkling effect​ and reflective window tint is prohibited for all vehicles.

Post manufacturer add-on window tint is prohibited on the windshield of any vehicle below the AS1 line or 5 inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is less.

On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons: 

All windows with add-on window tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance.

On multipurpose vehicles, vans, and class “E” trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) equal to or less than 10,000 pounds: 

Windows on the driver and right front passenger doors with add-on window tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance. 

All other windows can be tinted to any degree of darkness.

What is the maximum bumper height for a vehicle? And how do you measure it?


The maximum bumper height for Class A passenger vehicle is 20 inches, Class M multipurpose vehicle and Class E pickup trucks registered 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or less is 28 inches, Class E pickup trucks registered over 10,000 GVWR, but not more than 18,000 pounds is 30 inches. This is measured from a level road surface to the lowest point of the bumper. Vehicles with plastic bumper covers require the bumper to be measured from the actual bumper bar behind the cover. Contact our Automotive Safety Enforcement Section at for additional information.

I want to install some "after-market equipment" on my vehicle. I'm not sure whether it is legal or not. Who can I check with?


Equipment for on road use must be identified and marked by the Manufacturer as DOT compliant.

Any equipment labeled for restricted use such as "off road use only", "racing use only" or “not for highway use" is not permitted for use while operating the vehicle on road. Aftermarket equipment that is for off road or a specialty use may not interfere with, or operate in conjunction with, regulated equipment and may not be in use while operating the vehicle on road.  Contact our Automotive Safety Enforcement Division via e-mail at for additional information.

I just received a Safety Equipment Repair Order. How do I comply?


On the copy of the SERO that you received, you will see the defect(s) for which you were cited. Those with an asterisk ( * ) may be visually inspected by a member of any police agency that participates in the SERO program. For defects without an asterisk, you must take the vehicle to a certified inspection station and they must certify that the defect(s) was repaired. Once the repair is certified mail the SERO to the address provided on the copy you received, or email it to

SERO questions can be addressed at the same email address.

To find a licensed inspection station visit!/

ASED personnel can assist with SERO questions a certain MVA Branches.  Here is a link to the MVA Branch locations and hours: MVA hours & Locations​

Are colored headlights legal?


​Headlights must project white light, any other color is not legal.  Any required lamp, lens, or reflector that is obscured by any object or shielded by a nontransparent material, or any headlamp equipped with aftermarket clear, tinted or screen type cover is prohibited.  For more information see Maryland law.

Can I use studded snow tires on my car?


If the vehicle is registered in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett or Washington counties, studded tires may be used between November 1st and March 31st. ​

How do I transfer a motor vehicle title in Maryland?

Typically all you need is the title, signed by both parties, a vehicle safety inspection and a payment method for the taxes and titling fees. You can get more information at .

I bought a used car and need to have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspected before I can register it. How can I get a VIN inspection?


​You can call your local Maryland State Police Barrack and the duty officer can help you set up an appointment.​

​MDSP webpage for list of Local Barracks:  All State Police Barracks​

How do I obtain a title for a salvaged or self-assembled vehicle?


Through the Motor Vehicle Administration, the salvaged vehicle website is​


Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information