Maryland State Police
Technician Helicopter (2778)
SALARY: (Grade 17) $46,857 – $75,012 Starting salary based on experience. Typically, $60,815 Competitive Advancements to Lead Technicians (Grade 18*) / Expeditors (Grade 18*) / Technician Supervisors (Grade 19*) / Chief Technician (Grade 20) / Aviation Manager(Grade 21*) available once hired. PLUS, Annual Cost-of-Living step raises; Retirement Package; Outstanding Employee Benefits; AW/139 aircraft and more. * 6% raise between Grades.
WORK LOCATION: Maryland State Police - Aviation Command @ Martin State Airport
I. NATURE OF WORK
This is an experienced technician engaged in the maintenance of turbine powered aircraft. As a skilled technician, this employee has responsibility for maintaining aircraft according to FAA requirements and manufacturer’s specifications, either at a central repair area or in the field. The employee is normally required to maintain proper Departmental or Unit forms and records pertaining to the aircraft.
The Maintenance Technician receives supervision from the Aviation Maintenance Technician Supervisor or other designated higher-level employee. The incumbent does not normally supervise.
II. EXAMPLES OF WORK(Illustrative Only)
- Performs daily inspections and preventative maintenance
- Performs periodic major inspections, normally every 100 hours
- Replaces major and minor components during overhaul, normally every 1200 hours
- Installs engines during overhaul
- Rigs flight controls
- Performs emergency repairs in the field, as necessary
- May be responsible for general care and cleaning of aircraft and aviation equipment
- Manages a progressive maintenance schedule
- Upkeep of tools and ground support equipment
- Performs other necessary duties as required
III. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the diagnosis and repairs of problems and components associated with turbine powered aircraft
- Ability to maintain proper forms and records of the Department or unit as required by the Director of Maintenance
- Understand and follow oral and written instruction
- Maintain a harmonious working relationship with other employees
IV. MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalence certificate
Experience: Two years of experience in the maintenance of turbine powered aircraft
Note: Graduation from a Federal Aviation Administration’s Part 147 Aviation Maintenance Technician School may be substituted for the required experience. Applicants not identifying proof of education will not be considered. Include a student copy or an official copy of your transcript and if applicable, Foreign Degree Evaluation Report.
V. LICENSES, REGISTRATION AND CERTIFICATES
- Employees in this classification must possess a valid FAA Airframe and Power-Plant Mechanic License
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Employees will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland
VI. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE CLASSIFICATION
- Candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening and a complete criminal background investigation, to include a polygraph examination, by the Maryland State Police Department before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction record may be grounds for rejection of the applicant. Physical examinations may be waived by the Department’s Medical Director upon presentation of an recent physical
- Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 06.01.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs
- Employees in this classification are assigned to work on certain holidays and weekends.
- Employees are subject to call-in on a 24-hour basis and must provide a telephone number or electronic beeper number so that they can be contacted.
- The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit
VII. SELECTION / EXAMINATION PROCESS
- Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this classification. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application
- All applications must be postmarked by their due date
- Successful candidates will be placed on the employment Eligible List categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED OR QUALIFIED and remain eligible for consideration for at least one year from the date of examination. This list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. For education obtained outside of the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service.
VIII. HOW TO APPLY
- From any computer, go to www.dbm.maryland.gov
- On the left side of the page look for How Do I Find... and click on State Job Openings.
- For active recruitments, enter Aviation Maintenance Technician Helicopter in the shaded Keyword area and then click on the green Search button. Follow the instructions for completing the application.
- If an active recruitment is not taking place you may complete an Interest Card which result in your being notified electronically when a recruitment effort has been initiated. On the left side of the same page click on Interest Cards. From the Choose Job Groups put a check in the Maintenance/Trades box and click the green Submit button.
- Locate Aviation Maintenance Technician Helicopter, place a check in the box, click on the green Add All Checked Classes to My Job Search Agent prompt at the top of the page and then click the green Finish button. Add your e-mail address and then click on the green Next button.
We are totally committed to making your experience with the Maryland State Police a rewarding one. Should you have any questions or experience difficulty navigating the On-Line Applicant process please feel free to contact 410-238-5800. For additional information on the Maryland State Police Aviation Command you are encouraged to visit our web site at MDSP.MARYLAND.GOV.