I applied before and was approved to attend the FFAT and written exam, however, I did not proceed any further past the orientation, do I have to attend an orientation again?

No. All future orientations will be virtual and are not mandatory.

I am in high school, can I apply?

You can start the process when you are in your Senior year for the Cadet program, which is open to those 17-20. Please note that you cannot be hired until you graduate high school.

Can I be a Cadet and attend college?

The Cadet position is a full time position with day shift hours. If you choose to attend college during your Cadet employment you would be required to take night and weekend classes. Please note that as a Cadet you might be required to work occasional late shifts and weekends, online classes would be best.

I am under 18 can I apply?

You may begin the process when you are 17, please note that you cannot be hired until you are 18. Those that are 16 and under, must wait until they are at least 17 to apply.

Is there a tattoo policy​?

Please refer to the following link: MSP Body Modification and Tattoo Policy

What is considered business attire?

Business attire may include the traditional suit and tie, however, you can also attend in a button down long sleeved shirt, tie, and dress slacks. Military applicants are permitted to wear their dress uniform. Female applicants, please note that a pant suit is preferred. Casual clothes and khaki pants are not acceptable.

How long is the Applicant Orientation?

The virtual applicant orientation is generally 1-2 hours in length.

What occurs at the Applicant Orientation?

The Applicant Orientation is a virtual open house. The presentation will include information about job duties, the academy, and the application process.

Can I apply if I do not have a Driver's License?

In order to apply, you MUST have at least a Provisional Driver's License.

Please note a Learner's Permit and/or an Identification Card is insufficient.

Can I apply if I am currently in the process to get citizenship?

In order to start the process, you MUST be a naturalized United States citizen.

I am currently 19 and will be turning 20 in a few months, should I apply now as a Cadet or wait until I turn 20 to apply as a Trooper?

You can start the process as a Cadet now. If you are still processing when you turn 20 your application will automatically be converted to a Trooper applicant.

Am I eligible if I have a criminal record, driving record, or drug history?

All of these questions will be addressed at the orientation. Recruiters do not pre-screen applicants prior to the orientation.

To speed up your process, if you have any arrests or criminal records, please bring any documentation pertaining to these arrests with you to the Orientation.


​How can I attend an FFAT?

The first step is the Applicant Orientation, after reviewing and approving your pre-application information the Recruitment Unit will schedule you for the next available FFAT.

How will I be informed of whether I was accepted to attend the FFAT?

If you are accepted, you should receive an email within one (1) week after your orientation with an FFAT Invitation Letter attached in PDF format.

​I failed the FFAT, what should I do?

You may retake the FFAT three (3) additional times in one year. If you fail your FFAT, please use the Google Doc link provided in the notification emails to request to reschedule.

How often are the FFAT's held?

There are generally two FFAT's held every month.

How will I be notified if the test has been cancelled?

In the event that a test is cancelled due to inclement weather or other reasons the website's main career page will be updated at least one (1) day before the scheduled test.

I can not / could not attend the scheduled FFAT. Can I reschedule and how much notification do I have to give?

In the event that you cannot make the FFAT, you will be required to submit a request to reschedule your testing. This does not have to be done at any specific time. The sooner a request is received, the sooner you can be rescheduled.

What do I bring to the FFAT and what should I wear?

In order to be admitted to the test site, you MUST bring your FFAT Invitation Letter, completed Medical Waivers, and valid Driver's License.
****You MUST make at least three (3) copies of your completed Medical Waiver form prior to the scheduled FFAT****
You should come dressed in fitness attire, after passing the FFAT you are required to change into appropriate business attire prior to coming to MSP Headquarters for your written exam.


I have a sleeve tattoo; can I still apply?


Can I have a tattoo on the inside of my lip?

Yes, as long as it is not visible or visible when speaking.

If I have a commitment band tattoo on my ring finger, can I still process?


Will the Maryland State Police hire applicants who have tattoos?


Am I required to submit pictures of my tattoos?

Yes. An applicant may begin applying for a Trooper or Cadet position, but will be required to submit images of ALL tattoos and body modifications before a conditional offer will be considered.

I have a ¾ sleeve from my shoulder to the middle of my forearm, can I still process?


Can I wear a tongue ring while working?

No, Except for female troopers who may wear earrings, no trooper will have a body piercing that is visible while on-duty.

Can I have a tattoo which MAY incite a strong reaction if concealed while in the workplace?

No. If a tattoo may incite a strong reaction and is visible, even while away from the workplace, you may be asked to remove or modify the tattoo in order to begin in our process.

How does MSP defines a sleeve tattoo (full & half)

A sleeve tattoo is one contiguous theme or pattern. A sleeve tattoo (or tattoo sleeve) is a large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, usually themed in similar manner, that covers most or all of a person's arm, to include areas visible to the public. The term sleeve is used to describe these types of tattoos because they cover a person’s arm (or leg) like the sleeve of a shirt.

Who makes the final decision on whether a tattoo will remove an applicant from the process or allow me to continue forward?

The commander of Employment Services Section will review the tattoo in question and make a final decision. This decision will be forwarded to the director of Human Resources Division as a matter of information.

Can I apply if I have tattoos which will be visible to the public while in uniform?


Can I have a tattoo on my tongue?


Can I have a tattoo under my tongue?

Yes, as long as it is not visible or visible when speaking.

Can I apply if I have a tattoo on my upper arm that is visible in a short sleeve shirt?


Can I apply if I remove and/or schedule to have my tattoo from the prohibited areas (neck and above and below the wrist)?

Yes, if your tattoo is removed from my hand/face/neck, you can apply. There is still NO guarantee of a spot in the academy.

Will the content of my tattoo affect my ability to apply?

Yes, the content of a tattoo MAY affect an applicant’s ability to apply. Each tattoo is reviewed for its likelihood to incite a strong reaction in the workplace. Each tattoo content is reviewed for conformance with agency policy.

Where am I unable to have a tattoo visible to the public on my body?

From the neck and above

Below the wrist

​Note: A Commitment band tattoo is permitted.

If I had a tattoo which initially eliminated me from a previous process, but I had it modified to conform to MSP policy, can I reapply? Example: Changing a sexually explicit or vulgar art to what may be deemed inoffensive.

Yes. The commander of Employment Services Section will review the tattoo in question and make a final decision.

Do I need to provide documentation to MSP as proof of tattoo removal treatment?

An itemized receipt of the work performed which indicates the laser treatment toward removal.

Can tattoos be on the inner forearm?


Would Employment Services Section be willing to hear recommendations related to the tattoo policy?


Where can I find more information about your tattoo policy?

Yes. The Maryland State Police Body Modification and Tattoo Policy can be found on our public website: Body Modification and Tattoo Policy.

Can I apply if I have tattoos visible on my legs in PT gear?



​How do I obtain a verification of employment with the Maryland State Police?

​Effective January 1, 2016,​ fax requests will no longer be honored.

E-mail employment verification requests, along with the release authorization, to msp.hrd@maryland.gov You will receive a response to your request within 72 hours.

For contact by phone, call 410-653-4200 and ask to be connected to the Personnel Administration.


I have taken the POST exam with another agency, can I transfer my grades?

You may request to have your POST exam grades transferred, however, please note that a grades transfer does not guarentee that you do not have to retake the exam. If you have passed the exam with another agency, after attending the Applicant Orientation please submit a request to have your grades transferred. This request must be made at least one (1) week prior to attending your scheduled FFAT and Written Exam. Once received the Recruitment Unit will verify the grades and compare them to our standards, you will receive a phone call or email once this is complete with information whether you are required to retake the exam or not. In the event that no one can be reached at the agency the grades are to be transferred from prior to your scheduled FFAT and Written Exam, you will be required to re-take the P.O.S.T. exam.

I have applied for the MSP State Trooper position before, do I have to take the written exam again?

If you have taken and passed the POST exam with MSP after September of 2008, your existing score will be used, but you must advise RSU PRIOR to the exam date of your previous test. If you took the written exam prior to September 2008, you must take the new POST exam.

What do I have to bring to the written exam?

You MUST bring a vaild Driver's License.

I failed my written exam, what should I do?

If you fail your written exam you may retake the test up to three (3) additional times. Submit Google Doc request using link in notification emails.

Can I receive a study guide?

There is a link to a study guide on the written exam page.

What should I wear to the written exam?

After passing the FFAT, and being told to go to the written exam you should change out of your fitness attire and into appropriate business attire.

I need to reschedule my written exam, what should I do?

Submit Google Doc request using link in notification emails.

How will I be notified if the exam is cancelled?

In the event that a test is cancelled due to inclement weather or other reasons the website will be updated at the very latest, the day before the test, on the main career page with information on reschedule dates.

How can I attend the written exam?

The first step of the process is the Applicant Orientation. You must meet qualifications to be admitted to the FFAT, once you have successfully passed the FFAT you will be allowed to attend the written exam.

The written exam is scheduled for the same day as the FFAT.

How and when will I be notified of whether I passed the written exam?

All applicants that provide a vaild email address will receive the test grades via email within 5 business days after the written exam. Applicants that do not provide a valid email address will be sent their test score to their mailing address.

If you do not receive your grades after two (2) weeks following your written exam, please contact the Recruitment Unit.

How long is my written exam score good for?

The written exam score does not expire.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information