State Trooper Minimum Qualifications
Every member of the Maryland State Police is held to the same standards. To be accepted into the application process, you must:
- Be a United States Citizen; or a permanent legal resident who is an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces AND has applied to obtain citizenship (for more information regarding qualifications of US citizenship, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship).
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED (If you have a High School Diploma from a foreign country, you must have your diploma checked for equivalency. For more information, please visit www.naces.org/members.htm.).
- Possess a valid Driver's License in any state and a satisfactory driving record. Current driving record cannot exceed 3 points. If you exceed this requirement, please wait to apply until you are at or below 3 points.
- Binocular far and near visual acuity, with or without correction, must be 20/20.
- Be at least 20 but not older than 59 and be in excellent physical condition.
- Have a good reputation and sound moral character.
- Do not have any current court orders relating to domestic violence.
- Be truthful in every stage of the application process.
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a trooper if the individual has the following:
Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance other than marijuana within three years of applying; or illegally used marijuana within 12 months of applying.
We encourage you to apply if you possess the minimum qualifications listed above. If you have any questions about these qualifications, please contact the Recruitment and Selection Unit.