State Trooper Minimum Qualifications
Every member of the Maryland State Police is held to the same standards. In order to be accepted into the application process you must:
- Be a United States Citizen (for more information regarding qualifications of US citizenship, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship)
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED (If you have a High School Diploma from a foreign country you must have your diploma checked for equivalency for more information please visit www.naces.org/members.htm.)
- Possess a valid Driver's License in any state and a satisfactory driving record, current driving record cannot exceed 3 points, in the event you exceed this requirement please wait to apply until you are at or below 3 points
- Binocular far and near visual acuity, with or without correction, must be 20/20
- Be at least 20 years of age but not older than 59 Be in excellent physical condition
- Have a good reputation and sound moral character
- Not have any current court orders relating to domestic violence
- Be truthful in every stage of the application process
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a trooper or cadet if the individual has:
Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within the 3 years before application for certification.
If you possess the minimum qualifications listed above, we encourage you to attend an Applicant Orientation. If you have any questions about these qualifications, please contact the Recruitment and Selection Unit.