The Maryland State Police offers a "Condensed" program for applicants that reside out of state (excluding VA, WV, PA, NJ and DE) and applicants that are active duty military currently deployed.
The program serves to condense applicants' hiring process in an attempt to minimize the inconvenience and exorbitant costs of travel. The condensed process steps do not deviate from the traditional process for Maryland State Trooper applicants, however, the timing and order of the steps is altered, please visit the Trooper Now Hiring Page for more information about the process.
Condensed Applicant Process Order
- Maryland State Police Online Application
- Once the application is received, reviewed and approved, Maryland State Police Recruitment and Selection Unit staff will contact applicants to set up a week when an applicant can come to Maryland to complete the other steps of the process. During this scheduled week the applicant will complete the following steps:
- Functional Fitness Assessment Test
- Written Exam
- Once the polygraph has been completed, reviewed and approved, Maryland State Police Recruitment and Selection Unit staff will contact applicants to set up a 2nd week for the applicant to come to Maryland to complete the remaining steps of the process. During this scheduled week the applicant will complete the following steps:
- Background Investigation Interview
- Medical Testing
- Oral Interview
The entire process time-frame does not differ for condensed applicants, generally the entire process takes 4-5 months. After and prior to your trip to Maryland your application will continue being processed.
Applicants residing in PA, NJ, DE, VA, WV, MD, and Washington DC are not eligible for the condensed process. Forms submitted requesting condensed processing from these states will be denied.
Apply for the Condensed Process
The first step in the application process is starting the Maryland State Trooper Online Application.
To apply for the Trooper position please click here.
Prior Law Enforcement: We do not have any type of lateral employment. You will have to attend the full Maryland State Police Academy from beginning to end.
Military Personnel: You must be at least 6 months from active duty separation to begin the process. DO NOT submit this form until you are within the 6 month time-frame.
Once your information has been approved, an email notification will be sent with instructions on how to continue your application process.